Saturday, April 25, 2009

It!


The great-granddaddy of all swamp monsters was brought to life--or should I say, non-life, quoting the story: "It grew but it was not alive"--by Theodore Sturgeon in John Campbell's UNKNOWN in 1940. Here is the Marvel Comics treatment, SUPERNATURAL THRILLERS #1, published in 1972, with "It" by Sturgeon its first adaptation. Roy Thomas did the writing, Marie Severin and Frank Giacoia the artwork. Cover by Steranko.

Copyright © 1972 Marvel Comics





















3 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

Absolutely awesome post! I've been wanting this issue for quite some time and I am very glad to have gotten the chance to read it here.

Thanks!

Seeking out a copy of this issue will consume me during this summers convention circuit.

Anonymous said...

I read that Sturgeon banged-out that story very quickly, during his honeymoon. I don't take that to imply that it was a piece of hack-work, but that it was inspired.

Unknown said...

HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH?