Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Alt Flash Gordon


One iconic comic hero rendered in three totally different styles.

"Monster Men of Tropica," drawn by Jeff Jones, is the most stylized of the bunch. Pat Boyette follows with his chunky, sometimes clunky style in "Trapped In the Cave of the Mudmen". Both of these stories are from Charlton's FLASH GORDON #13, April 1969.

To add to this eclectic mix is the master Al Williamson, channeling original Flash Gordon artist Alex Raymond, in a Spanish translation of a story Williamson drew for King Comics' FLASH GORDON. I scanned it from ¡BANG! magazine #7/8, published in Barcelona in 1972.

Flash Gordon Copyright © King Features









































3 comments:

Chuck Wells said...

All right, now I get to shout, "Flash! Aaah-ah, he'll save every one of us" all day long.

Booksteve said...

How cool! I've been on a Flash Gordon kick all week but haven't gotten to any of the Charltons yet (and if I ever knew that Jones-one of my favorite artists-drew any of them, I'd long since forgotten!).

Prof. Grewbeard said...

awesome art on all stories, thanx!

FLASH! AAAH-AAAH!

sorry...